Sunday, February 7, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

Well, after sitting in my hunting blind and watching 2 bobcats walk by me at 125 yards but not wanting to punch big holes in them with my 7mm Mag I've been debating on getting something else to use specifically for varmints (coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, maybe even pigs).

I've been researching buying an AR-15 style gun and it is pretty daunting. There are literally MILLIONS of different choices out there. Dozens of manufacturers and all of the parts are pretty much interchangeable. Buying the parts and building your own is an option that many folks end up going with. I kind of like the camouflage stocks and stainless steel barrels though, and there aren't that many options in those. Most manufacturers are even putting them out in several different calibers instead of just .223 or .308 now as well.

I'm leaning toward Remington's R-15 in .223/5.56mm with a 24" stainless steel barrel. Here's a picture of one:

I know the last thing you should be use to decide on whether to buy a gun or not is based on looks, but I really like the way the camo guns look and there is a chance that the camo may help me when I'm out coyote hunting vs a big black gun.

Bushmaster makes a camo version as well but they don't have stainless barrels and I'm all about low maintenance. They do have a 2 stage trigger that sounds like a step up from the Remington though. Here's the Bushmaster:

If I wasn't stuck on the camo versions, Rock River Arms has about the best reputation for AR-15 style guns and they make a varmint gun with a 20" stainless steel bull barrel that runs about the same cost as the camo versions from Remington and Bushmaster. It also has a 2 stage trigger that should help with accuracy. Here's the Rock River Arms varmint gun.

Of course deciding on the gun is just the start, then I need to decide on a scope to go with it. If I stick to my usual timeline on making decisions maybe I'll decide one way or the other by this time next year!

If anyone has any input one way or the other I'm all ears.

Thanks, Nathan

No comments: