Sunday, January 24, 2010

First time down to the land in 2010....

Got a chance to run down to the land on and check on things. 2 out of the 4 cameras I had out weren't working and the 2 that were working didn't get many pictures.

Was thinking I might have a chance at shooting a piggie, and saw plenty of evidence they've been around but didn't see any while I was there. It is amazing how big of an area a pig can root up. Several huge spots were rooted up about 2 feet deep and around 10 or 12 feet in diameter. No idea what they were looking for, one of the areas they were rooting up was bare ground.

Saw a group of 7 bucks together. None of them were very big, and none of them were the nice 3 1/2 year old 11 point I had passed on either. Still no pictures of him on the trail camera either. I sure hope he made it through the season. Usually by this time they are hitting my protein feeder hard, but my food plots are still holding in there and I guess they must still be using them, because I only added 50lbs of protein pellets to the feeder and the last time I filled it up was in August I think.

Saw a lot of coyotes. 2 separate pairs and a couple singles for a total of 6. No real shot opportunities on the pairs but I did shoot one of the singles at 160 yards.

The big surprise was that I saw a pair of bobcats! And the male was HUGE! I guess it must be getting close to breeding season for bobcats because the larger one was trailing behind the smaller one. I would imagine that the one in front was a female and the big one was a male. I guess I'm didn't hurt the population of bobcats too bad by trapping one.

Not much else going on. Very busy at work so far.

That's it for now.

Nathan

No comments: