Sunday, February 21, 2010

First pig of 2010.

I got a chance to go down to the land this weekend and picked up my first pig of 2010. Nice, medium sized boar.

The cooler is just over 2' long for size perspective. This guy came in with 3 large sows and several smaller pigs of various sizes and I just picked out the largest one and pulled the trigger. My guess (based on weighing other similar sized pigs) would be just under 150lbs.

I actually didn't make a very good shot on him, although he dropped in his tracks. Hit about 6" forward from where I was aiming at 140 yards. After the shot one piglet actually hung around long enough for me to get another shot off and I missed it. Not sure if I pulled the shot or if my scope is off again. I guess I'm going to have to put some time in at the range and get it figured out.

Here's a picture from my hunting blind after I shot the pig. You can see the pig smack dab under the feeder! My blind is 140 yards from the feeder and about 60 feet higher. Occasionally I will end up putting a spot and stalk on some pigs if they are in one of the fields, but generally I wait for them to show up at the feeder. With only 160 acres to hunt it's pretty hard to go find the pigs, you have to get them to come to you. With deer, the mature bucks have the feeders figured out, so you have to figure out where else they might be.

I also ended up shooting a couple quail, as well as checking my trail cameras. Nothing too exciting, but I'll probably post of few of them. One of my cameras ended up getting wet so I'm hoping it is repairable. I remembered on my way home that I had turned off the camera at the feeder where I shot the pig and forgot to turn it back on after I had the pig cut up and in the cooler.

Oh well, that's it for now. I think I'm going to try to make some ham out of this one.

Nathan

No comments: