Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Now I need to decide on a scope.

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the Rock River Arms Varmint A4 flat top model with a 20" stainless steel bull barrel.


Now I have to decide what I'm going to top it with....

The ACOG scopes are very interesting, but I'm just not sure how well they are going to be for long distances. I regularly see coyotes from 300 - 450 yards that I would like to be able to reach out and touch with some confidence and the ACOGs are only 4X or 5.5X magnification versus 10X - 16X on a traditional scope.

The ACOG sounds like it would be perfect for lighting up a sounder of hogs on the run though!

I'm mainly looking at the 4X 32mm version. Here's a picture of it.


In all reality most shots I would be taking would be within 200 yards and the ACOG should be fine for that range. I doubt it would be up for 400+ yard shots at prarie dogs though like I could probably play around with with a 4-16X 50mm Nikon Monarch.

Pretty much just looks like a standard rifle scope.


The ACOG would be better in low light from what I understand and no doubt it wins in the "coolness" department. ;-)

I better slow down on my research, at this rate I might actually end up buying something before next year!

No comments: