Monday, September 17, 2007

Ramblings....

Well, a lot of stuff happened since my last post, but really not much happened...

On Wednesday I went back to the land to get the trailer leveled out and get everything completely finished and get my tractor back home and got stung a couple more times by some bees. One sting was right under my eye and one sting was on my left ear. After getting stung so many times just a couple weeks earlier, there must have been some residual toxins in my system or something because I had quite a bit of swelling this time. My left ear turned red and about doubled in size and my right side of my face swelled up to the point that I couldn't open my eye all the way. By Thursday night Cathy was calling me the elephant man! Thankfully by Friday night the swelling started to go back down and by Saturday night it was almost back to normal.

I now know a lot more about bees and will be much more careful when I'm down there. Did you know that bees are angered by sweat? A few other things that make them mad are heavy breathing (like if you are working hard outside or running), any fast motions (like when you are waving you arms to shoo them away), exhaust from a combustible engine (like a tractor you are mowing with) and what makes them REALLY, REALLY mad is when you mess with their hive (like when you bump their hive with your tractor). Also when 1 bee stings you it releases a chemical that signals all other bees in the area to come and sting you too! (I can verify this one as well!) I've contacted a guy that is a bee keeper as a hobby and he is interested in coming and collecting the bees but he wants to wait until next spring so he doesn't have to feed them over the winter. We will have to see how it goes, if anyone else gets stung the bees will have to go sooner rather than later.

I ended up buying a 6 1/2' tandem disc in Amarillo and happened to notice someone selling an old grain drill and ended up buying it as well. I'm going to leave them on the new property so I won't have to be hauling implements back and forth with the tractor each time. Hopefully sometime in the next few weeks I will get the 16 acres in the southwest corner of the property planted in winter wheat to help attract deer during the hunting season coming up and to help them through the winter as well.

Some of our friends from camp came down Sunday and stopped off on their way to Abilene to drop one of their daughters off who is moving to Abilene and it was nice to visit them.

Amber and Angel stopped by on Saturday and I showed Angel my new to me grain drill and the disc that I had bought and he noticed the tractor was leaking hydraulic fliud. We pulled the steering cylinder and I ordered a new one and hopefully it will come in early this week so I can put it back together and get the tractor back up and running.

Eli is getting more and more active. He is really getting to be a handful. He sure is cute though!

Well enough boring stuff. Looks like I'll get to go Dove hunting at the house on Tuesday and may get to go hog hunting Wednesday and Thursday down on the new land.

That's about it for now.

Nathan

No comments: