Friday, April 17, 2009

Shed hunting...

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting the results of my shed hunting excursion last weekend. (I'm talking about shed antlers, not small buildings)

I got down to the land to check cameras, fill feeders, pig hunt, turkey hunt, and last of all shed hunt. I'm not very good at shed hunting (I spent 12 hours looking last year and found 2 sheds, both over a year old) but I figured I would at least give it another try. With 8 different bucks on camera during the last month I figured I had a potential of finding 16 shed antlers. The problem is that I think most of them must be bedding off my property and that's where they seem to always drop their antlers.

I did better than last year though, I found 1 shed from this year, 1 shed from last year and 1 shed from the year before. I also found a broken off antler that I need to figure out which buck that came off of. So 3 1/2 sheds is an improvement from last year, and I only ended up looking for about 5 hours so I think I'm getting a little more efficient. It was a perfect day for shed hunting with cool weather allowing me to wear long sleeves to help protect myself from all the thorns and cactus scrambling through the brush.

I also seem to find hog skulls when I'm shed hunting. I typically leave the carcass of the hog (I quarter them out and take the backstraps) where I shoot them. Scavengers then haul off the rest and clean everything up really well except the skulls. I found 2 complete skulls, 2 upper skulls and 3 lower jaws this time.

Here's the results: I also did a little chainsaw work. I did see a gobbler and had him talking back to me, but I couldn't get him to commit enough to come within shooting range. At least I saw one out there, hopefully I'll get back out there one more time before turkey season ends.

That's about it for now. Still have my pig hunt results to post. It was pretty interesting!

Nathan

1 comment:

Su said...

I'm so glad you cleared up the shed antlers thing, because I was really confused about you hunting sheds-- like they are getting up & wandering around or something.