Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Success Part 3 - First Texas Whitetail


Well, I spent the weekend down on the land hunting Texas whitetail for the first time and ended up shooting a nice young buck. I'm 99% sure that it is the one in the trail camera picture that I put on last weeks post.

I ended up buying a ground blind and set it on one of the hills on the property and it worked amazingly well. I was pretty much invisible to the animals, I had one pig come within 40 yards and I don't think it ever saw me, but it was moving too fast and there was always some obstruction that didn't allow me to shoot at it. I think I will be building a permanent wooden blind on the hill this summer and using the ground blind for Turkey hunting and other things.

I saw 3 different bucks and passed up one nice 2.5 year old 9 point on three different occasions. I saw 2 does and 2 fawns (all that the same time so I know there were 2 of each) and several pigs. I saw a group of 14 turkeys and LOTS of quail also. Leaving my blind one night I saw 2 rattlesnakes but that wasn't necessarily a good thing! Overall it was interesting to sit in a blind for 3 to 4 hours each morning and evening and watch the world go by as the sun rose and set. The first morning I did get bored toward the end of the morning, but the last morning flew by and I didn't want to leave even though I didn't see any game animals.

I spent some time with the guys who have the hunting lease on the 700 acres to the North of me and they seem like really good folks. After spending the time down there I'm not sure if I am going to shoot any does or not this year. The habitat doesn't look like the deer are overpopulated and so far the buck to doe ratio is skewed with possibly more bucks than does so I think I will wait until next year to shoot a doe.

I will still probably go down and pig hunt a few more times and turkey hunt as well now that I have shot my deer (you only get to shoot 1 buck in Fisher County). I will probably do some quail hunting possibly over Christmas break or something.

Cathy and Eli were in Weatherford for the weekend and I was happy to get home to see them. Eli sure is cute!

That's it for now.

Nathan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nathan,
I found your web site through a google search on hunting in fisher county. I am looking at some properties in that area and was trying to determine what the hunting was like up there. Congratulations on the nice buck you harvested this year. It looks like you picked a pretty nice piece of property to buy. I enjoyed looking at your photo gallery and reading your posts on qdm or something like that. I don't think it would hurt anything to shoot a doe if you want more meat. We have a lease in Coleman county and I see more bucks than does at one of my stands, but more does at the other. Maybe that would be the case with you if you had another stand. I have been hunting this lease for 5 years and there is always plenty of deer to go around. We think its just that the older does don't show thereselves as much as the younger bucks. Anyway being as you own it I can't fault you for trying to manage it for more deer. Enjoy your land and maybe one day I will be able to purchase something for myself also.

npaden said...

Thanks for the comments. I am very happy with this piece of property, it really has a lot of character with two creeks coming together on the place and a few hills and lots of trees along the creek. And thankfully it has plenty of wildlife too!

One site that I used pretty extensively when looking for property was www.landsoftexas.com. Click on the search my map option, then you just click on the county you are interested in and it shows all the properties for sale. There are a few commercial and residential listings, but primarily the listings are farm, ranch and recreational properties.

Good luck in your search!

Nathan