Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New well house, well kinda.

Well, (pun intended) our well house has been looking pretty sad for the last year or two and really had gotten to the point that it was going to have to be repaired soon so it didn't fall down and break something.  I have seen the fake rocks that people use to cover up items in their yard but hadn't ever seen one large enough that it would actually cover the well and pressure tank until on a recent flight looking over the skymall magazine.  Once I got home I did some looking and there were actually a couple different sizes that would cover everything up.  I decided to go with the one that would be large enough to cover up what it needed to without being way too large (the largest one I found was 5' tall and 6' square).

I was able to spend Saturday afternoon knocking down the old well house and swapping it out for the new hollow rock.

Here's the old well house.  You can see it was in pretty bad shape.
Here's the well house with the new rock sitting next to it.
Here's the well house after I've started knocking it down.  It came apart pretty easy, but getting the roof off without dropping it on the pressure tank or well was a little tricky.  You can see how tall the pressure tank was compared to the height of the wall of the well house and also how tall the post is that had the electrical connections.
All the walls knocked down and starting to get them loaded in the ranger.  In the last 2 pictures you can see the house in the background and see how odd it was to have a well house sitting out there so far from everything.
The rest of the debris loaded up on the ranger.  It squatted down a little bit under the load but it actually has the same payload capacity as a 1/2 ton pickup.
Here's a test to see if the rock is actually going to work.  I was for sure going to have to change up the way the electrical connections and cut the post down to get it to fit.
Electrical connections rearranged and the rock is ready to go.
Everything in place.  Again, you can see the house in the background.  The rock is actually held down by 3 stakes for now.  Hopefully they will hold up to the wind.  That was one consideration when getting the smaller rock, it should do better with less surface area to catch the wind.
One more look from a little distance.  The rock is still noticeable if you are looking for it, but nothing like the old well house was.  I haven't decided if I'm going to plant a few shrubs around it to help it blend in or just leave it as is.
I don't think anyone really cares other than me, but I really think the new rock looks a lot less out of place than the old well house did.

Ended up salvaging most of the timber and turning it into firewood.  My chainsaw got a workout and I did too when I ended up spliting a bunch of wood with an axe.  It's probably going to burn pretty quick being dry pine, but it should be easy to get it started.  Spliting wood was actually fun and I for sure got a workout doing it.

That's it for a Saturday afternoon project. 

Nathan

No comments: