Friday, March 27, 2009

Trail Camera Pictures

Well, I finally got around to uploading the trail camera pictures that I got the last time I was down at the land.

One thing is for sure, I didn't put much of a dent in the hog population!

There's 16 of them in this group.

3 sows and 10 baby piglets in this group.
And here's a piebald boar.
So that is 30 unique pigs within a 24 hour period!

So I shot 1 of the medium sized piglets and 1 sow, and the boar I shot wasn't in any of the pictures so that leaves at least 28 remaining!

That group of 16 medium sized piglets is really strange. I think they are about 3 or 4 months old and I guess the sows have been killed out of that group. I had pictures of them on several different days and there are generally not any sows with them.

I really need to get a good hog trap setup going. If those are allowed to mature they will really start to wreck havoc on the land and other wildlife.

The real goal of the property is whitetail deer and I'm seeing quite a bit of potential on that side of things. I have my protein feeder setup with a fence around it so that the pigs can't get to it, but the deer can easily jump the fence.

I counted 8 different bucks visiting the protein feeder during the last two weeks along with 3 different does. This picture has 6 different bucks.

I need to get out and start shed hunting sometime soon as well, the bucks are starting to drop. I didn't find any of last years sheds, but hopefully I'll do better this year.

Here's the broken 9 point missing his right side. (He lost his left side just a few days later)

And here's the tall 8 point missing his right side. (He also lost his left side a few days later)

It's going to be interesting seeing them grow back over the next several months!

My quail population seems to be doing really well too! I really think thinning the raccoons out has already made a difference.

Well, that's about it. Lots more pictures on the website if you are interested. http://padens.com/v-web/gallery/trailcams

Hopefully I'll be able to get down there in the next couple weeks. Turkey season starts April 4th!

3 comments:

Clay said...

Those boars need to ALL be shot in my opinion...of course that's a lot of work if you're willing to clean em and grind em for food...wow, a LOT of work. I've never seen so many of em!

Deer Tracking Cameras said...

Great pics. Which model StealthCam is that?

npaden said...

Thanks.

It is an I-590. They take really nice pictures and their sensing ability is amazing (they will take pictures of mice on a cold night), but I've gone through 4 of them in the last 6 months and am down to my last 1. Not very reliable.