Saturday, March 14, 2009

New Bev Doolittle Print

Well, I've been really busy at work, but I snuck out for a couple hours at lunch today to go to an auction here in town. It was a pretty odd deal, they were auctioning off a house plus a bunch of furniture and artwork. In the newspaper ad they listed Bev Doolittle as one of the artists and I'm a fan of some of her work so I decided to go. With the economy hurting and it was a pretty dreary day I was hoping to find some really good deals.

Well, they only had 2 of her prints and neither one was a signed limited edition print so that was a little disappointing, but probably saved me a some bucks since they would have gone quite a bit higher I'm sure. I was bidding thinking they were still authorized prints that were just not signed and numbered, but once I got the one that I bought home and measured it, I now know that it is some kind of unauthorized knock off. It still looks good though, and the price I ended up paying was about what the frame and matting would have cost so I'm still pretty happy with it.

Cathy is out of town so I went ahead and brought it home and tried to put it where I thought it would look good. Hopefully she'll like it there.

The print that I bought is called "The Forest Has Eyes". Here's a closeup picture of it:
First I just moved the print that was currently over the fireplace (It is also a Bev Doolittle knock off) and replaced it with the new print. I didn't like that so I moved a few more things around and here's what it looks like now. Hopefully Cathy will like it that way.
Here's the other side of the room with some more Bev Doolittle knock offs and my elk from last fall.

Since I was uploading pictures anyway I uploaded a few new ones of Eli. Here he is in his new raccoon skin hat! I was going to have one of the raccoons that I trapped made into a hat, but a trapping supply house had a big sale and it was quite a bit cheaper to just buy him one than it would be to get my own raccoon skin made into a hat. Oh well, not that exciting, but I didn't ever say I was very exciting.

Nathan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really glad I found this article....I have 5 Bev Doolittle's and I'm not sure what is real and what is memorex! How do I tell what is authorized and what isn't? I'm really confused. I know that there are limited editions signed and numbered, then there are some others that are "authorized" but are they also signed and numbered? Any help would be grately appreciated!! Thanks, Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Nathan,
I think your print looks awesome! I hope Cathy liked it.

I found your post while looking for a place to auction off my 2 Bev Doolittle prints, The Forest Has Eyes, and Eagles Flight.I also have one Bev Doolittle artist proof, Let My Spirit Soar.

Phyllis,
You will know it is an authentic, signed and numbered, limited edition print by the certificate of authenticity on the dust cover, on the back of the frame. If you're really lucky you will have the original portfolio envelope.
Hope this helps!

Cindy
cindyupshaw@yahoo.com

npaden said...

I don't know how I missed Phyllis's earlier post. Not like I have a ton of comments to wade through on this blog! ;-)

Thanks Cindy for answering the question and good luck on selling your prints. I would like to buy them but I don't have the $4,000 or so sitting around right now to spend on art.