Wednesday, January 21, 2009

TRAPPED my first coyote!!!

Well I went back to my last post and edited the title from "Trapped" my first coyote, to "Caught" my first coyote, because for some reason catching one in a snare just didn't seem the same as if I had caught it in a foot hold trap.

And, because now I caught one in a trap!!


I have a few traps set about 400 yards away from the house where I've seen coyotes in the past. You can see our house in the background of this picture. I was able to look out through the upstairs window with my binoculars this morning and see that I had a coyote in the trap! I was pretty excited.

The coyote wasn't a giant by any means but it was an average sized coyote and it was really pretty and since it was my first coyote caught in a trap I decided that I was going to have it tanned. I took it to the taxidermist to skin it and he is going to send it off to be garment tanned and although it will take up to 7 months, it should come back very soft and it should last a lifetime that way. Here is a picture of me holding it in the backyard. I'm 6'2" and 225lbs for reference to size.


I'm actually out of town right now, but I'll be back home tomorrow evening. Things are starting to get busy at work so I'll probably be a little slow again on posting for awhile.

That's about it for now. Nathan

No comments: