Thursday, December 11, 2008

Vegas Vacation!

Well, kind of...

I had an accounting conference out in Las Vegas and I have a companion pass for Cathy on Southwest Airlines, and Eli is under 2, so they were both able to fly out with me for free. Work was paying for most of the hotel bill, so we decided to make a mini vacation out of it.

Most people think of Las Vegas only as the gambling, lights, etc. but one of our favorite things to do when we are there is go out to Red Rock canyon. It is less than a 30 minute drive from the strip and it is very pretty and a lot of fun. Eli loved running around and climbing on things and throwing rocks. There is something about the smooth rock formations that just screams out "CLIMB ME"! I carryed Eli up a few spots but Cathy kept me in check on taking him on anything too difficult.

Here are a few pictures from our visit to Red Rock:



Believe it or not, the conference was pretty good and I got a lot out of it. I did play poker a few times and I felt pretty good about my skill level compared to many of the players. I did lose a little money but most of the time I did get my money in when I was ahead, luck just didn't go my way the first night. I played a total of about 12 hours over 2 nights and ended up down a little over $100. That's cheaper than most of the shows out there and I got quite a bit of entertainment value over the 12 hours I played.

Cathy and Eli had a good time shopping and went out to Red Rock canyon a couple times. Eli liked the fountains at Bellagio and the Volcano at the Mirage is working again so we saw that. Cathy took him to the free Circus at CircusCircus and they enjoyed that also although there wasn't an Elephant so I'm not sure it counts as a true circus!

Nothing else terribly exciting on this end.

Nathan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

having $100 to blow should count as exciting.