Monday, August 18, 2008

2 posts in one day!!?? More vacation stuff.

Well, I should be working but I thought I would try to make another post while I was at it. The big hike for the week in Montana was to Pine Creek Lake. Elevation 9,077'. The hike is a mere 5 miles but it starts out at 5,600' elevation so there is the challenge of climbing a mere 3,400' of elevation in the 5 miles. The first mile of the trail is actually pretty tame, but it is all uphill from there!

We actually hiked to the lower falls earlier in the week as a family and we got some pictures with Eli at the lower falls then.





From there the trail starts with the switchbacks to get to the top of the falls and the switchbacks continue for was seems like forever. Last winter was a big snow year in Montana so I was hoping that there would still be some snow at the lake although it was the very end of July when we were headed up there.

I started to see some snow on the other side of the valley and then hit some snow with still about a mile left to get to the lake.


As we made it to the top I was greeted with the large snow bank I had remembered the last time I was up there although that year we made the hike around the first of July instead of the end of July.



This is one of my favorite views with the double waterfalls and the little catch lake underneath.


But the view of the lake itself truly is worth the hike.




I thought this was a good picture of the trail on the way back down. If you open up the picture to the larger size and look really closely you can see some of the switchbacks going down the mountainside.



One thing that I decided on this hike was that I need to get in shape for my elk hunting trip to Wyoming in September. I thought I was going to have a heart attack and it took 4 hours to hike up there. Where we are planning on hunting in Wyoming is only 7,000' elevation and I didn't really start having problems until about that elevation on this hike, but it made me realize that it would for sure be a good idea.

Well I think that's it for this post. It sure was beautiful up there.

No comments: