Monday, October 8, 2007

Hobby or work?

It is interesting to me that people are willing to work extremely hard on something as long as it is considered a hobby, but if it is a job then suddenly it becomes much less fun.

The fuel leak on the tractor isn't going to end up costing a lot to repair in terms of dollars, but it took me about 3 or 4 hours to get the fuel tank pulled off and get it to the folks to get it repaired. Hopefully I will be able to get it put all back together correctly and hopefully I can get it back together in a little less time. Here is a picture of it in progress.

We hired someone to stain and paint the house and they started on it this past week. On Thursday one of them fell off a ladder and broke his arm pretty badly. Not sure why they were even using a ladder as they brought this big lift machine to use instead of ladders but hopefully everything will turn out okay on that end of things. They are doing a good job on the house and it is amazing how badly it needed it.

A few of my sisters stopped by to visit this weekend so that was good. They were impressed with how fast Eli is growing and how cute he is. He is cutting more teeth and had a bad diaper rash, but we have been using a product called Corona that is made for farm animals that works amazingly well and it has mostly cleared up except for a couple spots. He is now standing on his own for very short periods of time and I'm sure he will be walking before we know it.

I had 2 firsts when I was dove hunting on Saturday. I got my limit (15 doves) for the first time ever and did it in less than an hour. They were everywhere! Also while I was hunting I saw a hawk catch a dove in mid-air. There was a loud popping sound and a puff of feathers and then the hawk was on the ground clutching the dove in it's talons. It was pretty cool!

I'm really getting excited about going to Montana in a couple weeks to go hunting. I was drawn for a non-resident Antelope license and a non-resident Deer/Elk combination license. I don't plan on doing any Elk hunting but hopefully I will get an Antelope and a Mule Deer. I've been getting ready to go and did some last minute shopping for hunting supplies this weekend.

I haven't made it back down to the land to overseed the area that I just finished planting but I will probably go down there this week during the week. I talked with someone at the NRCS and we are going to work on a wildlife management plan and possibly sign up for some government programs on improving the habitat and controlling erosion. Hopefully I will meet them out there this week to go over things.

That's about it for now. I may go back and add some pictures on some of these posts if I get some taken.

No comments: