Friday, October 11, 2013

Dove Hunting

I have gotten a chance to get a little bit of dove hunting done in the last couple weeks.  I have 5 acres near the house that I plant each fall in wheat and oats and sometimes it really brings the dove in and sometimes it doesn’t.  Last week it really brought them in thick!  In about an hour one evening I shot 2 boxes of shells and ended up with 11 birds.  (Not the best shooting, but it was a lot of fun!)  This past weekend my friend Ben came over and we ended up with a dozen birds between us in about the same amount of time.  (My shooting improved, but the birds weren’t flying as much).

Not really much of a glory shot, but here’s my shotgun and 11 dove from the first nights shoot.



Earlier this week we had some really nice weather and my son and I were able to go out for a very short hunt one evening together.  He actually has a lifetime Texas resident hunting license already, but not sure the Red Rider BB gun is legal for shooting dove or not.  We didn’t have much luck at seeing any birds so it didn’t end up mattering.  He enjoyed shooting at the Mojo Decoys anyway!

Here’s a picture of us back at the house after we struck out.



I think that gets me caught up.  I actually have a 5K race on tap for tomorrow morning and am thinking about trying to make a quick trip down to my hunting property and maybe try to shoot a pig and for sure check on how my food plots are turning out and check on my cameras.

Getting down to the final stages of planning for my New Mexico elk hunt as well.

That’s it for now.

Nathan

No comments: