Saturday, October 16, 2010

Busy couple of weeks!

Well, I've had a couple of busy weeks since I got back from the elk hunting trip!

Work has been very hectic as I do a lot of employee benefit plan audits that all have an extended deadline to file an informational return with the IRS by October 15th. Plans over 100 have to have an audit attached to their return so I have to have the audits completed early enough for them to attach them. This year all plans had to file their returns and attachments electronically and I picked up 5 new audits this year so it was quite a chore getting them done. But they are done now! Whew!

I ran down to the land last weekend to do a last ditch fall food plot planting and was very happy and surprised to find that I had a pretty good crop of volunteer winter rye coming up! I had disced the field the weekend before going on the Wyoming elk hunt and there was a lot of standing rye in the field that had seed heads still. About a week after I disced there was a decent rain so the end result was a nice crop of volunteer rye that I didn't even have to plant! There were a few spots that didn't get a very good start so I disced those again and planted a rye and oats mix.

Here's the volunteer rye. You can see here where I disced up a weak spot and replanted.
Here's one of my shooting lanes. This one didn't have any seed left when I disced it under so I had to replant the entire thing. Still a LOT better than redoing all the fields. I had planned on having to plant about 7 or 8 acres and ended up only planting a couple acres total.
During the rain a few weeks ago, the water gap on the fence between my neighbor and my property washed out and I ended up with about 20 head of Black Angus cows on my land for a week or so. It sure is surprising when you are looking at trail camera pictures of deer, pigs, coyotes, etc. and all the sudden then next picture is a HUGE cow! Overall it didn't bother me much, but they did break one of my feeders so that gave me an excuse to go back down there again this weekend. I was hoping to get some pork for the freezer since we are out of sausage, but the piggies didn't cooperate.

I did end up shooting a coyote this morning though. It came in to a rabbit in distress mouth call. I sure like the Rock River Arms predator pursuit rifle. It is a tack driver. It wasn't a very long shot (125 yards), but it was a quick one and I don't think I've missed with this rifle yet. I'm sure hoping to get a chance at using it on a nice sounder of pigs sometime soon.

Here's the coyote.
My dermestid beetles are pretty much done with my elk skull so I decided to bring the coyote skull home to give them something to eat. It will save me some money on hot dogs as they are up to being able to eat a couple hot dogs a day now.

Here's the skull in with the beetles. With the cooler weather during the nights they aren't quite as fast as they were in the summer, but they should have the coyote cleaned in just a couple days.

I have a bunch of new trail camera pictures that I need to post as well, but I'll save that for another day.

That's it for now. Nathan


No comments: