Friday, February 20, 2009

I Got Lucky!

Well, the results for the 2009 Wyoming Non-resident Elk license drawing were posted online today, and I was drawn for a general tag for the second year in a row!!

Since I drew last year I wasn't able to buy a preference point, and based on last years drawing my odds of getting drawn were around 15% so I'm pretty excited. I'm not sure if fewer people applied this year due to the economy, or if I just got lucky, or a little bit of both, but I'm not complaining!

More than likely we'll go ahead and hunt the early season in September like we did last year. Since I was lucky enough to shoot a decent bull last year on my first day out, I'll probably get skunked this year, but it should be fun anyway.

Maybe I'll get REALLY lucky and connect on a big bull like the one that an outfitter took out of the same area we were hunting just the day after we spent the entire day camped out in the bottom of the canyon. We were less than a mile away the morning they got this bull, and heard him bugle and then heard the shot. We were hoping it wasn't the big one, but it was. The area where we were hunting is so thick that we had this bull at only a couple hundred yards twice the day before but never did see him. They are using this picture for their main photo on their outfitting website now.




Okay, I doubt I'll get that lucky but who knows! We saw the bull in person after they packed it out, and it looked to be about a 360" bull. It made my 245" 5X5 bull that I shot on the first morning look pretty dinky, but I was still proud of it for my first real attempt at elk hunting. If I shot a bull like that I would probably quit hunting!

Nothing else too exciting. Really busy at work. Hopefully I'll get to go hog hunting next weekend but nothing for sure yet.

Update - They already have this years drawing odds posted. There were 2,381 applicants who put down the general license as their first choice with no preference points, and there were 551 licenses available for an overall drawing odds of 23%. A little better than the 15% odds from 2008, but I was still pretty lucky to get drawn!

No comments: