Thursday, September 12, 2013

Finding shed antlers a different way.

Okay, so it's fall now and hunting season is around the corner so I'll start trying harder to get some posts up on my blog.  

Facebook has made posting on my blog much more difficult because I can upload pictures straight from my phone to Facebook and just type something in the caption and be done.  Probably a larger audience than most of my blog posts as well.  But, I need to get better at getting stuff recorded or I for sure will forget about it.  Probably a better chance of going back and looking at my blog posts as a diary 5 or 10 years down the road then looking through all the posts on my Facebook page.

Usually I spend some time each spring looking for shed antlers down on my hunting land.  This year I didn't get to spend as much time looking for them as usual, and actually hadn't found any so far.

This past weekend I was down there doing some tractor work and getting my fall food plots planted and as usual when I'm running the tractor I keep my eyes peeled on the slight chance that I just might see one from my tractor seat.  Well, I didn't find a shed antler, but my tractor did!


The crazy thing is that I don't know where it picked it up. I dropped my disc and was switching over to my broadcast spreader and walking back to the tractor and saw it stuck in the tire.  It actually took some effort to get it pulled out and I was dreading a huge hiss of escaping air when I did, but the way the tine ended up in the lug it didn't puncture it and no leak!  Not sure if you planned it out and tried to place the shed intentionally you could get it to stick that far into the tire without puncturing it.  It was at least 3" into the lug.  None of the tines were broken either.

Very happy to find the shed, and even happier that it didn't come at the cost of a new tire!

No comments: